Document, Collect, Create: A Workshop with Denise Weyhrich
Document, Collect, Create
with Denise Weyhrich, Artist in Residence
- Denise is an artist, curator, and teacher
- MFA, Syracuse Univ., New York
- ‘94-‘03 Chapman’s Founding Graphic Design Program Director
- Founding Partner & Curator – SEEDS Exhibits
Collecting as means to create For Denise:
coming from the heart of a visual communicator finding voice, making a statement AND…
- Out of need
- Out of ordinary
- Out of a need to be authentic
- Out on a need to make marks in time
- Out of recycling
- Out of daily stuff of our lives…(ie medical stuff…)
- Of the moment/reactions/emotions of the heart & spirit…
- GROUP Q: what do you encounter/do each day that would be your “marker”? (think it as mileage posts along a road of your daily life)
Documenting as means to create:
So much is going on that is of Biblical proportions on our lives and global history- we long for normal, we long for a rhythm of normal life, a pattern, a way to reach out, make a difference, have a meaningful life in isolation
- GROUP Q: How do you document/create/make stuff…?
- Photos: Salt Shakers “Beacon”
- Communion cups “Tabernacle”
- “Trifle” – live
- Lost Gloves – live (& invitation to join)
- Rocket ships & tears (in progress) – live
- Often I need to Ask for advice, techniques, materials…
- Allow yourself to make mistakes, redo’s
- try multiples before you create limitations.
III. Putting it all together: YOUR GROUP PROJECT
- Looking around your place, what can you collect? document? & find as a media to create? Again there are no “NOs” in art, explore!
- Your viewpoint will make it unique. That consistent or inconsistent viewpoint will make the collection hold together. Maybe it is a Macro zoom or micro zoom stuff, pallet range limitation or textural, TIME limitations…
- What in your life can become a marker of your days in isolation?
- What can you be passionate about in your day and record in a way that speaks to you & uses your gifts in form/image making?
- Example: if each day you have a beverage, you take a simple photo or drip a few drops on a paper. Like Jewish Seder meal, or perhaps for each of your family in prayer…
- Breakout Group Q: What do you do daily that could be daily markers and your means to visual communication?
- Denise’s current project via coronavirus reactions: “Casting Crowns”
- If you would like your community to be included, please Feel free to take a page from your local paper, fold an airplane in prayer and fly it -place in mail to Denise
- Pray for direction
- Play with a few ideas see where it leads to
- Record daily
- Post on instagram – 7 day series +/-
- 1 month return to the group virtual exhibition!
How To Share Your Work
- Post your photos and Videos on #DocCollectCreate on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Email to SVA@saddleback.com and we will share progress at a follow up
- Follow up Zoom meeting on May 2 at 10 AM :
Meeting ID: 787 303 242
One tap mobile
- +16699006833,,787303242# US (San Jose)
- +13462487799,,787303242# US (Houston)
Dial by your location
- +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
- +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
- +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
- +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)